- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011
- M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2008
- B.S., Oregon State University, 2006
Research Areas and Descriptors
Nuclear and Radiological Engineering, Medical Physics: Advanced radiation detection, nuclear security and safeguards, advanced nuclear systems design and analysis with emphasis on safety and performance.
Dr. Erickson began at Georgia Tech in November 2012. Prior, she was a postdoctoral researcher at the Advanced Detectors Group at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
The research interests of Dr. Erickson focus on nuclear reactor design and national security, connected by the current need for proliferation-resistant nuclear power. She has been involved with fast reactor design including primary and secondary thermal hydraulic systems using RELAP5/ATHENA code, core design and optimization using REBUS-3 suite of codes, and accident analysis.
Since one of the major obstacles to expanding the nuclear power today, especially fast breeder reactors, is considered to be the concern of proliferation, her research also involves design, development and analysis of non-traditional nuclear security detectors. At LLNL, her focus is on sensitivity limits of antineutrino detection as applied to nuclear reactor monitoring. Often, detection and monitoring of special nuclear materials requires extensive knowledge of reactor design and principles of operation, as in case of using antineutrinos produced in a reactor to monitor its fuel cycle. In addition, reactor design could benefit from knowledge of potential proliferation risks.
- Stewardship Science Graduate Fellowship, 2008-2011
- Best Poster Award, American Nuclear Society Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NE, November 7-11, 2010
- American Nuclear Society Graduate Scholarship Award, 2006 and 2009
- Erickson, A. Galaitsis, R. Lanza, M. Hynes, A. Bernsteinand Br. Blackburn, "Design and Fabrication of Cherenkov Counters for the Detection of SNM", AIP Conf. Proc. 1412, 137 (2011)
- B. Yildiz, A. Erickson (Nikiforova), S. Yip, "Metallic interfaces in harsh chemo-mechanical environments", Nucl. Eng. Technol. 41, 1, 21-38 (2009)
- A. Erickson (Nikiforova), P. Hejzlar, N.E. Todreas, "Lead Cooled Flexible Conversion Ratio Fast Reactor", Nucl. Eng. Des. 239, 2596-2611 (2009)
- P. Hejzlar, N. E. Todreas, E. Shwageraus, A. Erickson (Nikiforova), R. Petroski, M. J. Driscoll, "Cross-comparison of fast reactor concepts with various coolants", Nucl. Eng. Des. 239, 2672-2691 (2009)